Margaret Potter, JD, MS
Room: PUBHL A728
Education: Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, Mundelein College, Chicago, IL
Master of Science in Biomedical Science Information, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
Juris Doctor, Rutgers School of Law, Newark, NJ
Professor for Health Policy & Management; Associate Dean for Public Health Practice; Director, Center for Public Health Practice
Research interests: Public health systems and financing; emergency preparedness measures and metrics; public health law and ethics; public health workforce development; academic public health practice; translation of research into health policy and practice
Teaching: HPM 2003/EOH2513 - Policy and Decision Making for Public Health Emergencies and Bioterrorism
- Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. Issue Focus: Public Health Workforce. Vol. 7, No. 4 (July 2001)
- Commonwealth: A Journal of Political Science. Special Policy Issue: Public Health in Pennsylvania. Vol. 14 (December 2008)
- Site Visitor: Council on Education for Public Health
- Member: Institute of Medicine, Committee on Oral Health Access to Care
- Journal Reviewer: Public Health Reports, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, American Journal of Public Health, Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science
- Reviewer: Institute of Medicine; Academy Health—Public Health Systems Research Interest Group
Continuing Education (including lectures and presentations):
- Principal Investigator, Pennsylvania Public Health Training Center
- Should Schools Close to Mitigate a Flu Pandemic? National Association of County & City Health Officials, 2010 Public Health Preparedness Summit, Atlanta
- Update from the SR194 Advisory Committee: Updating Pennsylvania’s Public Health Laws. Annual Meeting of the PA Public Health Association, Pittsburgh
Health Related Community Service Activities:
- Chair: Advisory Committee to the Senate Task Force for Review of Public Health Laws in PA
- Advisor, Dorothy Rider Pool Trust, Allentown, PA
- Chair: Legal Working Group of the Public Health Disaster Preparedness & Emergency Response Core Competencies Project, Association of Schools of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Chair, Board of Directors (7/08-6/10): Public Health Foundation, Washington, DC (Vice Chair, 7/07-6/08)
- Chair, Editorial Team: Excellence in Practice-Based Research, Association of Schools of Public Health, Council of Practice Coordinators
- Member: Leadership Council for the Public Health Training Centers, U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration (Founding Chair, 2004-05)
Publications and Scholarly Activities (selected)
E.L. Baker, M.A. Potter, D.L. Jones, S.L. Mercer, J.P. Cioffi, L.W. Green, P.K. Halverson, M.Y. Lichtveld, D.W. Fleming, “The Public Health Infrastructure and Our Nation’s Health,” Annual Review of Public Health 2005, 26: 303-318.
K.M. Gebbie, M.A. Potter, Beth Quill and Hugh Tilson, "Education for the profession of public health: a new look at the Roemer proposal," Public Health Reports, 2008, 123 (Supp.2): 18-26.
J.R. Lave and M.A. Potter, “Pennsylvania Medical Assistance: Connections within the Commonwealth’s Public Health System,” Commonwealth: A Journal of Political Science 2008, 14 (December): 163-184.
M.A. Potter (Chair), J. Burdine, L. Goldman et al. (Core Editing Team), “Demonstrating Excellence in the Scholarship of Practice-Based Service for Public Health,” Public Health Reports 2009 ASPH Special Publication (July-August): 1-16.
B.Y. Lee, S.T. Brown, P. Cooley, W.D. Wheaton, M.A. Potter, et al. Simulating School Closure Strategies to Mitigate an Influenza Epidemic. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice 2010, 16(3): 252-261 (published on-line in December 2009).
M.A. Potter, K.R. Miner, D.J. Barnett, R. Cadigan, L. Lloyd, D. Olson, C. Parker, E. Savoia, K. Shoaf. The Evidence Base for Effectiveness of Preparedness Training: Report on a Five-Year Retrospective Analysis. Public Health Reports 2010, 125(Supp. 5): 15-23.
B.Y. Lee, S.T. Brown, P, Cooley, J. J. Grefenstette, R.K. Zimmerman, S.M. Zimmer, M. A. Potter, R. Rosenfeld, W.D. Wheaton, A.E. Wiringa, K. M. Bacon, D. S. Burke. “Continuation of Vaccination Deep into a Pandemic Wave: Potential Mechanisms for a ‘Third Wave’ and the Impact of Vaccination.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2010, 39(5):e21-9.
M.A. Potter, K.R. Miner, D.J. Barnett, R. Cadigan, L. Lloyd, D. Olson, C. Parker, E. Savoia, K. Shoaf. “The Evidence Base for Effectiveness of Preparedness Training: Report on a Five-Year Retrospective Analysis.” Public Health Reports 2010, 125(Supp. 5): 15-23.
B.Y. Lee, S.T. Brown, P. Cooley, W.D. Wheaton, M.A. Potter, et al. “Simulating School Closure Strategies to Mitigate an Influenza Epidemic.” Journal of Public Health Management & Practice 2010, 16(3): 252-261 (published on-line in December 2009).
M.A. Potter. “Public Health,” in Encyclopedia of Immigrant Health (Sana Loue and Martha Sajatovic, (Editors-in-Chief), New York: Springer (in press for 2011).
M.A. Potter, S.T. Brown, B.Y. Lee, P.M. Sweeney, C.J. Lin, X. Zhou, T. Hershey, S.M. Gleason, J. Epstein, P. Cooley, J. Grefenstette, D.S. Burke, “Agent-Based Modeling of Public Health System Preparedness: School Closure as a Pandemic Mitigation Strategy,” Public Health Systems & Services Research Keeneland Conference 2010, Lexington, KY, April 21, 2010
M.A. Potter, S.T. Brown, B.Y. Lee, P.M. Sweeney, T.B. Hershey, R. Bailey, J. Tai, C.J. Lin, X. Zhou, S.M. Gleason, J. Epstein, C.R. Keane, P. Cooley, S. Stebbins, J. Grefenstette, D.S. Burke. State Specific Indicators of Preparedness for Closing Schools as a Pandemic Mitigation Strategy: Results from Computational Modeling. Academy Health, Public Health Systems Research Interest Group, Boston MA, June 29, 2010